firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Monday, May 23, 2011
ENGLISH EFFICIENCY TEST FOR PM CADRE
Directions—(Q. 1–5) In these questions, sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate words four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four and indicate the correct sequence.
1. Tourists always enjoyed .................... the setting sun in the Darjeeling hills. (A) to watch (B) watching (C) in seeing (D) seeing Ans : (B)
2. The speaker did not properly space out his speech, but went on .......... one point only. (A) stressing (B) avoiding (C) devoting (D) decrying Ans : (A)
3. A ............... of Japanese artists stepped off the coach amidst a warm welcome. (A) troop (B) troupe (C) band (D) gang Ans : (B)
4. Today students should be reconciled .............. the way things are changing. (A) with (B) to (C) for (D) at Ans : (A)
5. Ramappa ........... as the Mayor of the town and he will assume charge this Friday. (A) elects (B) elected (C) is elected (D) is electing Ans : (C)
Directions—(Q. 6—10) In these questions, some of the sentences have errors and some have none. Find out which part of a sentence has an error and indicate corresponding to the appropriate letter (A, B, C). If there is no error, indicate corresponding to (D).
6. He ate (A) / nothing (B) / since yesterday. (C) No error (D) Ans : (A)
7. An experimental vaccine (A) / has brought (B) / glimmer of hope for malarial researcher. (C) No error (D) Ans : (C)
8. After making me wait for two agonising hours (A) / the great man called me in (B) / and asked me what do I want. (C) No error (D) Ans : (A)
9. The ebb and flow of the tides (A) / are (B) / now understood. (C) No error (D) Ans : (B)
10. The green paint on the wall (A) / provides a suitable contrast (B) / with the yellow doors. (C) No error (D) Ans : (C)
Directions—(Q. 11–15) Group of four words are given. In each group one word is wrongly spelt.Find the wrongly spelt word.
25. AFFLUENT (A) High (B) Poor (C) Rare (D) Fluent Ans : (B)
Directions—(Q. 26–30) In these questions, four alternatives are given for the idiom/phraseboldin the sentence. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase and indicate the correct answer.
26. A few days before his death, hemade a clean breastof everything. (A) Confessed (B) Took off his shirt (C) Suffered (D) Spoke ill Ans : (A)
27. I amdonefor. (A) Ruined (B) Rewarded (C) Answered (D) Questioned Ans : (A)
28. For a healthy and lasting friendship one must beon the level. (A) Equally rich (B) Mentally compatible (C) Honest and sincere (D) Ready for sacrifices Ans : (A)
29. The foolish young man soonmade ducks and drakes ofthe vast property his father left him. (A) Squandered (B) Distributed (C) Spent (D) Gave in charity Ans : (A)
30. All his ventureswent to the winds. (A) Dissipated (B) Spread all over (C) Got speed of the winds (D) Became well-known Ans : (A)