Tips For Kids to Safe Diwali Celebrations With Fireworks
Diwali the festival of lights brings fun and togetherness. For children fireworks new clothes and sweets make this festival the most eagerly awaited of the year.
Unfortunately injuries from fireworks spoil the fun for many families and though Diwali is a holiday for most of us fire departments and hospitals around the country are on constant alert to tackle the various mishaps.Each year brings a fresh crop of cases involving loss of eyesight and serious burns and injuries caused by fireworks. Most of these cases involve children.Freak accidents invariably occur when kids are allowed to play with fireworks unattended. The most common reason is wrong handling of fireworks.Parents need to take some precautions to avoid such tragedies. For instance it is extremely important to know the difference between a legal consumer firework and a dangerous explosive device.
The latter can cause serious injury or even death. Both parents and their children need to stay away from anything that is not clearly labeled and does not display the manufacturers name and instructions for proper use.Fundamentally children must understand that fireworks are not toys that they burn at approximately the same temperature as a household match and that they can ignite clothes and cause burns and injuries if used improperly.
Parents must never allow young children to handle fireworks without close adult supervision. Even seemingly harmless sparklers and ￢ﾀﾘflower pots can be dangerous for very young kids especially to those under age five.Most of these and similar nonexplosive fireworks can create havoc if lighted in busy areas. Rockets can shoot off into non intended directions to injure people and even enter homes to set things inside on fire.
Fireworks Safety Tips For Kids
We often do not realise the potential danger and therefore ignore even the most rudimentary precautions. Caution and proper care can ensure a safe and fun filled Diwali " it all boils down to a few
simple dos and donts.
Never allow your kids to play with fireworks unattended
Read the instructions and follow all safety precautions instructed with regard to the use of fireworks.
1. Supervise children while they light fireworks.Make sure you buy Fireworks from a licensed shop.
2. Make them light fireworks outside the house.
3. Have them hold sparklers away from the body
4. Keep ﾘflower pots and chakras on even flat ground while lighting them
5. Have them light up rockets only on open ground
6. Ensure proper distance from the fireworks away at a distance while they are lighting them
7. Make sure they are wearing closed footwear and close fitting clothes of thick material instead of loose or flowing garments while lighting fireworks
8. Keep a water bucket and burn ointment or aloe vera gel handy
9. Check the area before igniting fireworks to ensure that no inflammable materials are near
10. Ensure they light only one firework at a time
11. Discard used fireworks in a bucket of water this way you can avoid people from stepping on to and hurting their feet from used fireworks which are thrown on the ground
1. Don't burn crackers in crowded, congested places, narrow lanes, near sources of fire or inside the house.
2. Don't let children burst crackers unaccompanied by an adult. Keep an eye on them constantly.
3.Don't put fireworks in your pocket. Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths in North America.
4. Don't dare to examine un-burst crackers.. leave it!! Light a new cracker.
5. Don't show the Dare-devilry of lighting crackers on own hands. One tends to light bombs, by bringing them close to the candle or incense, rather than bringing the incense close to the bomb. Avoid doing such feats, as there are chances of the firework falling on someone passing by.
6. Avoid long loose clothes, as they are fast in catching fire.
7. Strictly avoid using matches and lighters for bursting crackers for Diwali as they have open flames that can be dangerous.
8. Never ignite aerial fireworks (like rockets) if there is any overhead obstruction present like trees and wires.
9. Never ever leave a lit match, agarbatti (incense stick) or sparkler near unused crackers.
10. Never experiment with crackers or make your own fireworks.
11. Avoid bursting crackers on the roads-it could cause a major road accident.
12. Never ever light a cracker while holding it in your hand. See to it that you put it down and then ignite it.
13. Don't keep your face close to the cracker while trying to light it.
14. Do not throw fireworks at people.
15. Never give any firework item to small children.
16. When crackers take time or do not ignite immediately, do not keep in trying to burst them. Move away immediately. Throw some water to diffuse them.
Finally Diwali is a family festival it should be a source of joy for everyone including kids. But these small but important steps can ensure that the Festival of Lights does not bring darkness into your lives.
Post a Comment